Sunday, October 5, 2014

La Cirugía

September 11th, 2014

I can't believe it's taken me this long to blog about this, it was quite the experience. I'll start out describing the picture, then give you the story. So what you're looking at here is two doctors pulling a baby out of a woman's womb, or if you want to get technical, a c-section. Yes, I saw a real live c-section, it was awesome... and gross. The woman on the right was the surgeon, the woman on the left was the assisting nurse, and this is the moment where the surgeon reached into the woman's womb, and scooped the baby out.

Ok, now the story. In September two medical groups came to the mission, and when there is a medical group here, they go to the hospital in Imbert on Thursday, because on Thursdays, they do c-sections (does anyone else think it's funny they have a designated day for them?) The first group that was here was a group of 5 grumpy old ladies, who I drove around all week, so on Wednesday night I asked Sarah and Elissa, "if I wear some scrub pants, do you think I'll be able to go watch a c-section?" They said I might as well try, and I'm glad I did. Thursday morning I slipped on some scrub pants and declared with a fist pump, "I'm ready to commit so fraud!" We got to the hospital and I did my best to act like I belonged. We were all together when the doctor asked who wanted to go see a c-section, and trying not to seem to eager, I volunteered, and I was in. The next thing I know I'm in an OR and there is a woman lying on a surgery table ready to be cut open and have her baby yanked out of here. I'd like to make it known that the fact that they didn't even check if I was actually a medical professional or not wasn't even the most ridiculous part of this experience. To go into the operating room, I didn't even have to wash my hands, they let me take pictures (clearly), and when they cut something off the lady, they just threw it on the ground! They also don't have suction in the operating room so the blood (and there was LOTS of it) just runs onto the floor. I have another picture showing all the blood, but I thought it was a bit too graphic, but email or facebook me if you want to see it and I'll certainly sent it to you! The most surprising thing about watching the surgery for me was how rough the surgeon was! I don't know if that's how it is for all surgeries, but they were ripping this poor woman open, who was in fact awake the entire time. At one point the two women were gripping either side of the incision with both hands and hanging off of the woman to open her up, it was crazy! Then once they finally cut away all the muscle and fat and whatnot and finally made it to the womb, they couldn't pull the baby out, so they called in the director of the hospital who had just arrived and he came in in his yellow button down, put down the mail he was holding, and started pushing on the woman's stomach! He wasn't even wearing freakin gloves! The whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. When the doctor sewed up the last layer of skin I turned to her and said, "wow, thank you, that was incredible," then walked out of the room as nonchalantly as possible. Could you imagine in America trying to do something like this? I don't really know, but I feel like if this woman was in American her HUSBAND wouldn't have been allowed in the operating room, never mind a complete stranger with dirty hands who isn't even a medical professional! But I suppose this is a good representation of the Dominican health care system (at least out here in the campo).

I'll reiterate, it was super awesome, super gross, and I'm super happy I got to have the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment