Monday, May 4, 2015

Jennipher Para Vasquez


This is inexplicably the best picture I have of Jenni. I say it's inexplicable because she steals my phone every single class and either takes a million selfies of herself (yes, even 8 year old Dominican girls love to take selfies), or her and Wileyni have a photoshoot. So, sorry to Jenni that it's a hilarious picture of her. It was funny, when I asked her if she'd write her full name for me, she said she didn't know how to spell Vasquez, not because she doesn't know how to read or write (she does both quite well), but because she uses her last name so infrequently she's never had the need to learn it. Jenni and Wileyni are partners in crime. If one of them is listening well and having a fun time laughing uncontrollably, then so is the other. The only problem with that is when one is in a bad mood and doesn't listen to a damn word I say, the other does so as well. But the latter is rarity for Jenni. Her and her younger brother Yefri live right next door to the school, and a lot of the time she'll still be eating lunch or getting dressed for the day when we arrive, but by the time we have everyone settled and sitting she's still able to stroll in right on time. Despite being eight years old and a tiny human, she can still play kickball with the boys, which I've always really liked about her. She's not quite as smart as Wileyni, but I certainly wouldn't bet against her chances of going to University. She's certainly acts older than her age, which actually seems like a reoccurring theme in young Dominican girls the more I think about it. Jenni is a great kid and I can't wait to come back to the DR in 20 years to see what she has accomplished. She is one of the people I will miss most when my time here is all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment