Thursday, July 24, 2014

Los animales de la finca: Rica


Can you tell I have a piece of human food in my hand that she really wants? I mean, just look at those eyes, and you can't even see her tail it's wagging so fast. This is Rica. She is one of four dogs that live with us here on the property. She is about 1.5 years old, making her the second oldest dog. She was originally named chocolaté, for obvious reasons, but it was decided that was too long a name so she was renamed after a chocolate drink called Rica something or other. As a puppy she was abused a lot before we rescued her and brought her to the property, so there are a bunch of weird little things about her that I think you would really have to meet her to fully understand, but I'll try. She basically never relaxes, even when she sleeps she still looks tense. Most of the time when you give a dog human food they immediately devour it as if it was the first time they had ever eaten (at least this is what happens in my experience), but about half the time you give Rica human food she calmly takes it in her mouth, digs a little hole somewhere she'll presumably remember, and buries it! The first time I saw her do it I thought it was the most hilarious thing. Despite all her weird little habits, I love Rica. She's the only dog that will sit on my lap or let me hold her pet them for more than like two seconds, AND JUST LOOK AT THOSE GINORMOUS EARS?!? How can you not love her? I also think she is the smartest of the dogs, which may not be fair to say because Sally is only five months old and TK is only like a month old, but I don't think they're going to get much smarter. Some of Rica's interests are sleeping all day cause it's so freakin hot, play fighting with Sally, and barking at nothing all night long (which I've finally gotten used to to the point where I just sleep right through it). Rica is a fantastic dog despite her rough upbringing, and you would be lucky to have one like her as a companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment